Coconut oil is edible oil extracted from the meat of mature coconuts. Two days ago, a Harvard professor said “coconut oil is poison, what do you think?
Karin Michels based her warning on the fact that coconut oil has a high proportion of saturated fat (80%) which raises the levels of LDL cholesterol which in turn leads to a risk of heart disease.
Fact is, nearly 50% of the cell membranes in our bodies are made if saturated fats, therefore, we need saturated fats in our diet. If you follow me on any of my social media platforms or have a copy of my ebook, you know I love to use coconut oil most of the time I even use about a teaspoon in my smoothies. Of course, too much of anything is not good for anyone to consume moderately. This is the brand I normally use.
Coconut oil health benefits and uses
- It’s high in antioxidants
- Coconut oil has lauric acid, capric acid, and caprylic acid which have antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal properties that are good for your immune system.
- It is a good source of healthy fats. 50% of it fat in coconut oil contains lauric acid which is good after breastfeeding.
- Coconut oil can help speed up weight loss.
- Through oil pulling, coconut oil can help kill the bacteria in your mouth and strengthen your gum and teeth as well as improve bad breath.
Coconut oil beauty benefits
- It great for the skin. Coconut oil is very good for keeping your skin moisturized and vibrant. It also helps with skin irritations. If you are like me and love using natural products on your skin, try using organic coconut mixed with aloe vera gel, the results are amazing. Thank me later.
- It is good for the hair. Coconut oil can be used in various ways for the hair, as a mask, hot oils, homemade deep conditions and so much more. This helps the hair grow faster, healthy, also reduces on frizzing.
- When used consistently, coconut oil can help get rid of cellulite.
- It helps the body to increase the absorption of calcium and magnesium.
- Coconut oil is really good for tanning.
- Rubbing coconut oil on cuticles is good for nail growth and strength.
Coconut oil natural or home remedies
- Helps to treat Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Helps to treat burns
- It helps to soothe psoriasis and eczema. When applied on the skin in the affected area, coconut oil can help reduce eczema.
- Can help reduce acne if used regularly. I normally use coconut oil my moisturizer both as a facial and face serum. This helps me keep my skin moist, and when I scrub my face its healing purposes really help to keep it vibrant.
Here are a few things to consider when buying coconut;
- It should be unrefined
- It should be extra virgin
- It should be Organic
- It should be cold pressed
Find 101 coconut oil benefits and uses here.