I was never such a milk person mainly because I’m lactose intolerant, I love ice cream and have it at least twice a year these days, I’m a sorbet kind of girl When I discovered that I could make my own nut milk, it changed my life and I honestly think homemade milk is better than boxed milk, there is something that makes it taste better, I guess because its made with my own hands. Making almond milk is actually how I got interested in starting to switch up unhealthy foods, Once I learned that I could make my own almond milk, I decided I have to create alternatives for the foods I love to eat and that was the birth of my ebook, munchies meet healthy foodporn.
Making nut milk is so simple and takes such a short time and very few ingredients, you also have control over what flavors you want and do not have to worry about other industrial ingredients added. Also for people that love to bake, you can definitely use the remaining almond pulp to bake or in smoothies.
Once you have the ingredients you need, the rest is super easy.
First, soak the almonds overnight, then add all the ingredients to a blender and strain it.
SWEETENED ALMOND MILK
- 1 cup of almonds
- 3 cups of water
- 2 pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Soak the almonds in water overnight so that they soften up.
- After between 8-24 hours, rinse them and add them to a blender.
- Add the 2 dates, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
- Blend for about 1 minute or until the almonds are properly pulsed
- Using a cheesecloth or sieve strain the milk
You can store this in the fridge for about 3 days and you can switch the vanilla for cacao or any flavor of your choice, or you can add the different flavors on consumption.
P.S Add as many dates as you want, I personally prefer unsweetened or low sugar milk,
I will be sharing some recipes and ideas of what to do with the almond, so keep an eye out for that.
Some health benefits of almond milk are;
- It is a perfect replacement for dairy milk, especially for lactose intolerant people.
- It helps with weight loss because it is lower in calories.
- It has low sugar so it does not raise blood sugar.
- It helps with bone strength because it is a source of calcium.
- It is rich in vitamin D&E.
Let me know how you like homemade milk when you try it.