So many times we are lazy to cook and for times like these, one-pot meals come in handy. If you have a copy of my ebook, you know that one of the tips is cut and prep veggies like pepper and onions ahead of time, this helps to reduce on your time in the kitchen. It is overwhelming sometimes to have to chop so many ingredients unless you are like me and love to cook… lol
So I had all these leftover ingredients in the fridge and could not b bothered, and a few days ago I saw a video on Instagram stories of his girl that just added everything she had together which included sweet potatoes and I was like I totally have to try this, I did on a pan but then I craved the same meal a few days later so I decided to make a pot dish which turned out amazing, The best part, of course, is not having to cook because I had a busy day and didn’t want to spend time cooking.
Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili Casserole
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1/3 a large eggplant/ aubergine
- 1 Bell pepper
- 1 bundle of chopped kale/spinach
- 1/2 a large red onion
- 1/4 cup of coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup of coriander stalks
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 Pureed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 red chili
- 1/2 a teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Prep all ingredients, cut the sweet potatoes, bell peppers, onions, and eggplant into cubes, Slice the coriander stalks and leaves separately, mince the garlic and mix it together with 1 thinly sliced red chili.
- In a baking tray or dish that goes into the oven, add all the ingredients apart from the coriander leaves, then add 2 cups of hot water.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes. For faster cooking make sure the potatoes are cut in small cubes.
- After 40 minutes, increase the heat to 400 F then add the coriander leaves and mix it together, then bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Take it out and wait for it to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with some green onions and avocado. (Optional)
This recipe is perfect for meal preps when you are having a busy day or you don’t feel like cooking. having a meal like this would save you time or temptation from ordering out as most of us lack the discipline to order healthy food, at least I know I sometimes lack the discipline so I order out.
So you can definitely pack this in separate bowls for the week with something else or like me in 1 big bowl because I can’t have the same meal every day so I switch it up and add maybe a salad or eggs or something.
As always, I would love to see your creations when you try this recipe so please do not forget to tag me @madammebae and hashtag #madammebae on Instagram, looking forward to seeing your creations.