We take in a lot of sugars both knowingly and not knowingly because some foods have hidden sugars and we don’t take time to find out before consuming. Its fall and we all know that fall comes with all the sweetest treats you can think about. So before we get taken up by the fall treats, a sugar detox would be sufficient. Sometimes we have digestion problems and don’t know where they come from or what caused them, but clean eating, introducing healthy fats, proteins and managing meal portions can help you not only reduce indigestion and lose weight.
Our bodies do a good job at healing and cleansing themselves if we give them the right food and nutrients.
Hidden sugars are sometimes the reason we are not losing weight so a sugar detox can help you take off the stubborn kilos/pounds. In this detox, we are going to cut out sugars for the first 3 days even from fruits, starchy vegetables, dairy, artificial sweeteners, and grains
After the 3 days, we will slowly introduce fruits but one fruit per day and some starchy vegetables for the next two days. After that you can have a lot more fruits and vegetables with low sugars, This is supposed to slowly introduce healthy sugars to your body and also helps to carb the stubborn cravings.
Lately, I have been consuming a lot of sugars, they are mostly healthy, and homemade like smoothies, chocolate bars, chocolate dates and so much more, I am aware of everything that went into them but that doesn’t make it okay to consume that many sugary foods. Personally, I have such a sweet tooth so a sugar detox at least once every 2 months or even once a month is really helpful for my body.
Sugar is also the reasons why your skin is breaking out because too much sugar dehydrates you. Have you ever drunk so many sugary drinks and you can’t take it anymore because you start t get super thirsty? Its all those sugars and this dehydration affects your skin
This 7-day sugar detox will be perfect for so many people I know trying to cut back their sugar intake and I would love for you join me and try this and support each other. If you feel like this detox would help you reset then let’s do this, just remember to take it easy on yourself, no pressure. I have a detailed post about signs your body needs a detox in the 7- day detox challenge so feel free to read that and find out if this detox is for you.
Signs your body is addicted to sugar
- Cravings for complex carbs like pasta and bread
- Like treating yourself with sweet desserts after each meal
- You are grumpy, get headaches and feel dizzy when you don’t take sugar
- You always reward yourself with sweets
- You constantly hide sweet treats to enjoy by yourself
Foods to expect in the sugar-free detox
- Fresh lean meats with no skin for poultry and fish
- Homemade nut kinds of milk
- Nut kinds of butter
- Healthy Fats
Examples of sneaky sugar names to look out for;
- Castor sugar
- Agave nectar
- Rice syrup
- Cane sugar
Check out this article from women health magazine for more names for sugars to look out for.
Foods to avoid
- White bread and everything with white flour
- White rice
- Salad dressings unless homemade
- Fruits with high sugar content like bananas, pineapples
- Cured Meats
- Alcohol especially beer
Sugar detox benefits
- Helps to lose weight. Sugars trigger your insulin, inflammation, and overeating. This makes you full all the time and not giving room for food to be digested properly leading to fat tummies.
- Helps reduce bloatedness and inflammation.
- Helps to reduce blood sugar levels for diabetic people.
- Helps to reduce cravings
- Helps to improve your sex life. Like I mentioned earlier, too much sugar dehydrates you and increases toxicity which for women can make you a little dry, so reducing your sugar intake may help stimulate your sex life.